Questions on permits and other zoning issues.

What do I need a permit for?

You need a building permit for any new construction, residential or commercial.

For example:

  • Accessory structures: garages, carports, sheds (both permanent and moveable), porches/decks
  • Residential and commercial roofing (must be done by a licensed roofing contractor)
  • Concrete work
  • Swimming pools
  • Siding
  • Electrical (commercial wiring, any new services, new residential construction)
  • New residential and/or commercial plumbing
  • New or replacement water and sewer services
  • Signs (commercial and residential)
  • Residential and commercial fences
  • Residential or commercial additions
  • Major renovation work

Can the Zoning Office tell me where my lot lines are?

Unfortunately, we cannot give you specific lot line locations. Our suggestion is to go to the Warren County Assessor's office to determine your actual lot size. From there, try to locate the metal stakes in your yard. These can be difficult to find, or may not even be there, so we suggest using a metal detector. You may also be able to locate a neighbor's stake and measure from there. The only other way to know your exact lot line location is to have your property surveyed.

How long is a permit good for?

A permit is valid for six months after the date of its issuance.

Register Rental Properties in October

The City of Monmouth passed Ordinance 11-023 in November 2011, requiring landlords to register all of their rental properties and have rental inspections done on the premises.

Each year there is an open enrollment period where there is no fee to register your rental properties. The open enrollment period is October 1–October 31 every year. Rental properties must be registered EVERY year. If you fail to (re)register your property during the open enrollment period, a $75 violation ticket will be issued for every property not (re)registered.

Please use this time to let us know if you have sold your properties or added more, or changed any of your contact information. You may contact the Zoning Department to begin registering your rental properties at 309.734.7590.

Online Re-Registration Form (use if there are no changes to a previously registered property)

Online Rental Registration Form (use for newly registered properties)

What information is needed to obtain a permit?

Name and address of the owner of the lot so the type of zoning can be obtained.

Type of construction to be done.

A drawing of the lot showing the location and distance from the lot lines if it is a structure.

If plumbing, what type and the plumbers name and license number, also his contractors license number.

When a electrical permit is obtained, we will need the size of the service and if it is an overhead or underground service.

A permit is required for residential and commercial roofing. Residential roofing can be done by the owner, but if contracted out, the roofer has to have a Illinois state roofing license. If the roofing is on a commercial or public service building, a separate unlimited license is required.

It is the permit applicant's responsibility to call for inspections on the above when needed.

What is spot zoning?

Spot zoning is the application of zoning to a specific parcel of land within a larger zoned area when the rezoning is usually at odds with a city's master plan and current zoning restrictions.

Who do I contact regarding flood plain information?

Illinois Flood Plain: Wade Woodard - City Of Monmouth Building Official

FEMA: (202) 646-2500