All applicants must submit a completed permit application, estimated cost of pool materials, and a sketch showing the size and location of all existing structures (house, sheds, fencing etc) and the proposed pool with dimensions from the property lines.
Additional information required upon application includes:
- Before digging, call J.U.L.I.E. at 1-800-892-0123, or just dial 811.
- Building permit fee.
- If permanent electrical is being wired to the pool an electrical inspection must be performed.
- Electrical inspection: If permanent electrical wiring is installed, an inspection will need to be performed after it has been hooked up.
- Final inspection: After the pool is installed.
- Pools must be eight feet from the rear property line and 10% of the lot width from the side property lines.
- Pools cannot cover more than 40% of the back yard.
- Pools must be located in the rear yard.
- Pools shall be filled from a potable water source with proper backflow protection in place.
- These design controls are intended to provide protection against potential drowning and near drowning by restricting access to swimming pools, spas and hot tubs.
- The top of the barrier shall be at least 48 inches above grade measured on the side of the barrier that faces away from the swimming pool. The maximum dimension between grade and the bottom of the barrier shall be two inches.
- When an above ground pool structure is used as a barrier or where the barrier is mounted on top of the pool structure and the means of access is a ladder or steps; the ladder or steps must be capable of being secured, locked or removed to prevent access. Maximum mesh size for chain link fences shall be a 2.25 inch square unless slats fastened at the top and bottom reduces the opening to not more than 1.75 inches.
- Access gates shall open away from the pool and must be self-closing and self-latching.
If you would like to build or install a pool that may be closer to the property lines than the required setbacks, the owner must go in front of the Zoning Board of Appeals to request a variance.