Parks & Recreation
The Monmouth Park District maintains many parks in the City. These parks are available for residents of the community to enjoy free of charge. All parks close at sundown. Some highlights include:
Monmouth Park is located on 11th Street, just north of Route 34. This large park has a band shell, gazebo, picnic shelters, numerous playgrounds, tennis courts, baseball diamonds, basketball courts, a disc golf course and Gibson Woods, an excellent public golf course (greens fees do apply).
Diffenbaugh/Harmon Park is located at 700 North D Street and features a picnic area, swingsets and a baseball diamond.
North Park is nicknamed the “tot lot." This park is on Euclid Avenue between 5th Street and Park Street and has lots of green space, a picnic shelter, a fenced playground great for smaller children and a unique circular triple basketball court.
Pattee Park is located on Broadway and 11th Street and features easy parking, picnic shelters and a large play area for children.The table below provides the location of all of the public parks within the Monmouth City limits.
|Buster White||1000 S. 7th St.||Show Me|
|South Park||200 W. 10th Ave.||Show Me|
|Garwood||700 N. 9 ½ St.||Show Me|
|Diffenbaugh/Harmon||700 N. D St.||Show Me|
|Monmouth Park||N. 11th Extended||Show Me|
|North Park/Tot Lot||500 E. Euclid Ave.||Show Me|
|Pattee Park||Broadway and 11th St.||Show Me|
|Warfield||S. 10th St. at E 8 ½ Ave.||Show Me|
|West Park||401 W. Broadway Ave.||Show Me|
|Rotary Park||Public Square||Show Me|
Citizens Lake Camping
Recreational vehicles are welcome.
There are ten sites available with water and electricity, and there are ten sites available with sewer, water and electricity.
Bathroom facilities with hot showers are available.
- Nightly: $12 (with sewer hook-up: $14)
- Weekly: $72 (with sewer hook-up: $84)
- Monthly: $240 (with sewer hook-up: $285)
- Non-site use of Dump Station: $5
- Tent (one night): $8
For reservations or questions, please contact the Campground Manager at (309) 734-6924, from April 15 to October 1. Contact City Hall before April 15 and after October 1: (309) 734-2141.
Reservations will be accepted for:
Reservation preference for specified camp sites will be given in the following order:
Preferably any seasonal reservations for specific sites will be made by April 1st of the current season; otherwise a specific site cannot be guaranteed.
Anyone who refers someone who stays at our campground will receive a free night's stay during the current season.
- Keep camp area clean.
- Fires must be in stoves or designated camp-fire areas.
- Quiet enforced after 10 p.m.
- All pets must be on a leash and owners must clean up after pets.
- Take care to protect trees, shrubs, flowers, grass, water and other natural resources.
- Park is closed to all but registered campers between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- All campers must have adult supervision.
Citizens Lake Fishing
Citizens Lake is located on the west edge of Monmouth, at the intersection of Highway 34/67 Bypass and Highway 164.
Fishing and Lake Regulations
- Two pole and line fishing only for all fish.
- Only electric trolling motors are permitted. No inboard or outboard gas-driven motors may be used.
- Illinois statewide sport-fishing regulations will be enforced.
- Channel catfish: No size limit. Catch limit: Six fish daily creel limit.
- Large- or small-mouth bass: One fish over 15" or five fish under 12".
- Bluegill or redear sunfish: No size limit. Catch limit: Ten fish daily creel limit.
- Rainbow trout (stocked by the State in the fall). Catch limit: Five fish daily creel limit.
- NO trout can be taken from October 1 through the third Sunday in October.
General Park Regulations
- Vehicles may be driven only on the roads.
- Speed limit within Citizens Lake Park is 10 mph.
- Please use trash cans to properly dispose of all bottles, paper, trash, rubbish, and litter.
- Park hours: 5 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Gibson Woods Golf Course
Public 18 Hole
6,362 yards; Par 71.
Slope 114. USGA Rating: 68.9.
Tee times: For Saturdays, Sundays and holidays, you may call up to seven days in advance: (309) 734-9968.
6 a.m. until 4 p.m., from May 8 through September 30. Three or more foursomes can block in tee times, anytime in advance. Golfers should plan to arrive at course 20 minutes in advance. Fivesomes may play, but only with riding carts.
All golfers, including those holding season passes, must register in the Club House prior to playing.
Our Snack Bar offers sandwiches, beer, liquor and soft drinks.
Cash, check, VISA, MasterCard are welcomed.
Questions? Call (309) 734-9968.
Season Pass Annual Rates
- Adult: $455
- Married couple: $665 (add child $110)
- Junior (under 21): $150
- Senior (62 and over): $270
- Senior married couple: $420
- Family: $790.00
Daily Rates (Weekday/Weekend)
- Green fees: $17/$19
- Seniors: $15/$19
- Cart Rent (per 9 holes): $11/$11
- Twilight: $14/$18
- Trail fee (June, July, August): $10/$10
- Single: $500
- Family: $650
- Adult Range Pass: $130
- Next family member: $65
- Large bag: $6
- Small bag: $3.50
Private Lessons Available
- $135/series of six lessons
Monmouth Park is located at 1321 N. 11th Street in Monmouth, IL.
The park has picnic shelters, playground equipment, a baseball diamond, tennis courts, basketball courts, and restrooms.
A gazebo area is available for weddings and ceremonies.
Please contact the Monmouth Park District if you have any questions. Ask for Sylvia: (309) 734-7926.
The Municipal Pool is located at 100 Citizens Lake. The pool is open daily, from noon until 6 p.m., June to mid-August. (The pool may sometimes be closed due to low attendance or inclement weather.)
- Ages 5 to adult: $3.
- Ages 4 and under: $1.
- Family memberships are available.
- Evening rentals are available for birthday parties, class reunions, and team parties.
- Wading pool
- Small water slide
- Diving board
- Concession stand
Please call (309) 734-4069 if you have any questions.
Monmouth Park District
The Monmouth Park District is its own governmental unit and taxing body. The District is governed by the Park Board Commissioners who are elected to the position.
Office: 203 East Broadway, Monmouth, IL 61462
Secretary: Sylvia Lee, (309) 734-7926
Park Board Commissioners
Mark Gladfelter, President, (309) 734-0403; cell (309) 221-2597
Rusty Spence, Vice President, (309) 221-6505
Treasurer: Lisa Gavin
Youth Park Program Coordinator: Dave Giles
LeSeur Nature Preserve
LeSeur Nature Preserve is owned by Monmouth College and was designed with a goal of serving the public as an educational and recreational area, as well as preserving and restoring habitat for native species. The preserve, covering 16.5 acres, is located on North 6th Street with access by the College’s baseball diamonds.